Today’s blog post sounds like it came straight out of a science fiction movie. Unfortunately, it is not. The deadly brain eating amoeba is on the move and it may be related to increased temperatures from climate change or other causation.
The brain eating Amoeba lives in freshwater lakes and rivers and Infections occur when contaminated water goes up a person’s nose, allowing the organism to enter the brain through the olfactory nerves (responsible for your sense of smell) and destroy brain tissue. Swallowing contaminated water will not cause an infection, the CDC says.
Ms. Jenn Landers | Patient Advocate Alliance LLC Edited by Dr. Justin Groode